01 August 2009

Thank you Simunovich Olive Estate!


This is not an advertisement. It is for real!

How many times have I had it said to me that I am very lucky for the lifestyle I live? So many people say: “It is everyone’s dream” and many other similar comments. It is for this reason that I am loath to point out anything negative, because on the whole, these people are correct, and I know that I am so very lucky to have the opportunity to have this wonderful adventure.

The reality is though, that living on a sailing yacht in the Mediterranean does play havoc with my skin, fingernails, hair, basic aerobic fitness, and very often my ability to sleep.

Many times after a full-on day of sailing in wind and sunshine, my face is dried out and caked with salt from the many soakings I have had, my fingernails go soft and flakey, my hair is like a piece of dried out straw (especially after I tried to do the highlights myself!) and my tummy muscles continue to defy gravity! I suffer from itchy skin, which at times drives me almost crazy when it prickles and keeps me awake at night.

This is despite the fact that I stay out of the sun whenever possible, sit under the canvas bimini always, and never, never sunbathe.

Having really top moisturising creams and cleansers is at the top of my list for looking after myself. Before I left NZ I was lucky to work for the Simunovich Olive Estate and to sell their “Olive” range of beauty products. I came away from NZ with plenty of product and used it sparingly. I will never forget the day I left my Olive shampoo in the marina shower by mistake and despite rushing back for it, never found it. I was devastated.

Once my products ran out, I resigned myself to doing without and purchased local products wherever we happened to be. I spent hours trying to decipher labels written in foreign languages to get an idea of what the ingredients were. I have never again found any product which is as good for my skin - which went very quickly downhill and became dried out and chronically itchy. I believe I am sensitive to sunblock creams and anything with paraben in it as a preservative.

I don’t know why it took me so long, but eventually I contacted my friends at Simunovich and asked to have some product sent from New Zealand. I have had several restocks now and am overwhelmed by the kindness and helpfulness which Branka and Karen have extended to me in sending me product or sending it to friends who are coming my way. Nowadays I rush to the cupboard for the Olive Body Milk before and after a long day out on the water, or a relaxing day in port. At the end of the day I cleanse with the Olive Cleansing Milk and Makeup Remover (salt remover!). I finish off with the wonderful rich face cream. I am sure the Olive Hand Cream helps to nourish my fingernails as well. All of these products are paraben free and 100% Natural, so they are completely soothing on my skin.

I really appreciate having the Olive products on board of SY Matelot!!

No comments: